Hearty Vegan Mushroom and Rice Soup
We used to love buying mushroom and rice soup from the supermarket. There was one in particular that tasted really nice. But then one day, we thought about it and decided it was time to try making our own. After all we love home cooked foods. Next shopping trip we didn’t buy ready made soup but ingredients for a simple but hearty vegan mushroom and rice soup. Never looked back.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 leek, sliced
- 500 g mushrooms (we used a mix of button mushrooms and chestnut)
- 2 sticks celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup whole grain rice
- 2 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1tsp thyme
- 125ml dry white wine
- about 1.25 l stock or water
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- fresh parsley
- pepper and tamari sauce to season
- optional 1 – 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Clean mushrooms and chop them.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the mushrooms, celery and leeks. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt. Stir and cook over high heat for around 5 minutes or until the liquid of the mushrooms has reduced.
- Follow with the rice and mix well.
- Now add the paprika powder, turmeric and thyme.
- Splash in the wine while continuing to stir.
- Add the water and cook with a lid on until the rice has cooked. Stir every so often.
- Make sure you add more water if needed.
- Once the rice is cooked, roughly blitz the soup with a hand blender. Don’t blend too much, you still want to keep some texture.
- Fold in the coconut milk and heat through but do not boil.
- Season to taste with tamari sauce and pepper. If you want also nutritional yeast.
- Finish the soup off with a sprinkle of fresh parsley. Serve hot with bread fresh bread ( roasted garlic and rosemary focaccia).